I keep searching for big, inspirational words to share with you. How do I make what I want to say sound amazing? How do I live up to the words and actions of others?
Truth is, it is not about big words and impressive speeches. It’s not about trying to be like someone else or live up to the expectations of others or even our own. It is knowing who and what we are, what we stand for and what we stand UP for!
Today is International Women’s Day and I simply want to share with you all the things I am grateful for as a woman:
- I am grateful to be a woman!
- I am grateful to be able to vote.
- I am grateful to be able to earn and manage my own money.
- I am grateful I get to go where and do what I like.
- I am grateful I can have my own possessions.
- I am grateful I can study and learn whatever I want.
- I am grateful I can make my own decisions and choices.
- I am grateful I can speak for myself.
- I am grateful I was raised by a strong, independent, confident woman.
- I am grateful for the brave, inspirational women in my family.
- I am grateful for the supportive men in my family.
- I am grateful for the equality in my family.
- I am grateful that my position and privilege allow me to help and empower others!
In today’s world were often fooled into thinking that equality is already out there. But it’s not. Around the globe women are still being treated unequal, paid unequal, suppressed, silenced, patronized and stripped off their rights. Equality may exist as a word, but it has yet to truly come alive!
I know I was born privileged and my skin colour and sexual orientation give me a head start of many other women in the world. I could feel ashamed now, I could be asking myself why me and not them. But instead I choose to make the best out of my privilege and put it to some good use. I may never change the world on my own, but I can do my part so that we all together can!
Teaming up with Solar Sister on this very project gives me the chance to help other women in parts of the world where it’s not usual for them to start their own businesses, stand on their own feet, provide for their families and build a future all by themselves. It might be a small, but ever so important step into the right direction. And by selling clean energy products, Solar Sister even help fight climate change. I am truly honored I get to collaborate with such great women!
Women are amazing! Being a woman is amazing! Women are more than a “sexy thing”. We are strong, we are brave, we are fighters, we are the mothers of all generations, we are capable of loving with all our heart. I could go on and on forever, but all I want to say is – HERE’S TO US!